The UPCHQ is the proposed new Headquarters and Knowledge Centre of The Urban Planning Council in Abu Dhabi.
The Headquarters and Knowledge Center will be a prestigious development with an iconic design.
The layout will comprise:
- A three storey, part four storey, L-shaped Office Building, width 27m, leg lengths 87m & 70m.
- A feature, part stone-clad, part glazed Knowledge Centre referred to as ‘The Box’, providing Exhibition, Auditorium, Archive/Library and Function Space, over an area approximately 70m x 70m x 18m high above ground.
- A three storey triangular shaped, arrival area, The Podium Block, on the south elevation of the Office Building, approximate length 42m x 23m.
Meinhardt’s brief encompasses the building services and façade design along with the structural engineering design for the Box. The structural engineering scope also includes the concept design for the remainder of the project along with a design review role.
The project highlights include:
- Estidama 4 Pearl rating
- Energy efficient ventilation & cooling systems
- Extensive use of LED & lighting controls
- Parametric design development of the architecturally expressed steel structure for the box, spanning a clear 70m with a ‘random’ arrangement of diagonal elements