The Atkinson Morley Hospital involves the phased demolition and refurbishment of an existing hospital site to make way for the construction of a new development comprising of 25 individual house and 54 apartments whilst preserving the character of the area.
Phase 2 consists of the existing hospital building which is to be retained and converted into 26 no. apartments in addition to the 28 no. new build apartments split over 3 blocks and 13 no. houses which are to achieve Code Level 4.
The hospital, dating from 1869 was noted as one of the most advanced brain surgery centres in the world, and in particular for the first use of computed tomography (CT) on a human being on October 1, 1971. The hospital remained open until 2003 when neurology services were relocated to a purpose-built wing of the main St George’s Hospital.